Many Indians have immigrated to U.S. since the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 abolished the national-origin quotas. As IT industry-fueled economic boom since the 1980′s, many more Indian engineers, IT professionals and scientists have made America their permanent home. The people who immigrated between the 1960′s and 80′s have lost track of their old friends in India. However, with the growth of electronic communication media and the social media, business networking sites and blogs, it has become much easier to find old friends.
* Sign up on social networking sites. Millions of people between the ages of 15 to 60 have signed up on popular international social media and social networking sites such as Facebook, Orkut and myspace. Once you have created a profile for you, a simple search on that social media or social networking site will show up your friend’s profile if he / she is also a member or user of that particular site.
* Also sign up for professional networks which is another way to find your friend through online. Professional or business networking sites such as LinkedIn, Plaxo and a popular India-focused business networking site called Rediff Connexions. Sign up in that sites and try finding for your old friend on such sites based on common education, business domains or professional interests.
Search On Social Network
* Search on online networks of school alumni’s. Joining school or college networks online will gretly help you in your search for the old friend.
* Check state government websites. Many state governments in the nation now have fully functioning websites and e-governance programs in place. It should be relatively easy to track him down if your friend is paying state utilitie’s bills or other bill’s or taxes through a state government website.
* Type his / her full name in Google.As many Indians if your friend has a rare first name and last name, it should be pretty easy to locate him / her by simply typing his / her full name in the search window. Scroll through the list of links to check mention of your friend’s name in any of the newspaper, matrimonial site or periodical article and professional society membership.